SMARTS Beats & Empowers
SMARTS Beats is a percussion-based learning program for PK-12 (and up to the age of 21) students with developmental and behavioral challenges. SMARTS Beats uses hand drums and other percussion instruments to engage students by promoting academic learning, increasing musical knowledge, fostering a sense of community, and developing pride, confidence and satisfaction.Originally developed as a pilot project in 2011, SMARTS Beats centers on four goals:
- Promote academic learning through unconventional/alternative techniques.
- Increase musical knowledge, understanding, and appreciation.
- Foster a sense of teamwork and community.
- Develop students’ sense of pride, confidence and satisfaction.
SMARTS Empowers integrates arts education into student’s daily classroom activities using visual art, theater, and dance. The goal of this program is to empower students through art forms and connect their learning to these positive experiences. SMARTS Beats and Empowers follows the same model using the knowledge and curriculum we have built since 2010.
- Promotes academic learning through unconventional/alternative techniques.
- Increases knowledge, understanding, and appreciation in visual arts, music, dance, theater, and creative writing.
- Fosters a sense of teamwork and community.
- Develops students’ sense of pride, confidence and satisfaction.
SMARTS at Ohio One
25 East Boardman Street, First Floor
Youngstown, OH 44503