Apply to be a SMARTS Teaching Artist!
SMARTS, Students Motivated by the Arts, is seeking enthusiastic visual art, music, dance, theater, and creative writing teachers to work with students who range in age from Pre-Kindergarten to Grade 12.
SMARTS community art school provides access and early training in the arts for our region's K-12 youth with a focus on underserved populations. SMARTS engages public and private organizations, schools, and artists in cooperative projects designed to enrich our community, promote student achievement, inspire self-discovery, and impact cultural and academic literacy through fine and performing arts.
- working towards or holds a minimum of a B.S., B.A., or B.F.A. in the field(s) of visual arts, music, dance, theater, creative writing, and/or a related field, OR equivalent professional experience
- has and/or can pass a current FBI/BCI background check
- create and execute creative curriculum that follows state of Ohio Learning Standards
- be organized and prepared ahead for classes
- keep all supplies and equipment in good working order
- provide data to SMARTS using any pre and post-assessments provided
- have a passion for teaching the arts to students of all ages
- flexible and open-minded to new ideas and situations
- remain in constant communication with SMARTS Program Manager(s) and Education Director
- is punctual, responsible, and reliable
- previous experience working with PK-12 students
- professional experience in an art-related field
- have excellent classroom management skills
- may hold a State of Ohio Teaching License
Job Type: Part-Time
Pay: $15.00 - $30.00 an hour based on education and experience
Apply to be a SMARTS Student Assistant!
Position Description: SMARTS Student Assistants provide general programming and organizational support. Student Assistants often serve as the first contact with visitors to SMARTS and in this capacity must be able to respond to a variety of questions. Student Assistants report to SMARTS President.
Decision Making: Team thinking in conjunction with other Student Assistants under supervision of the Assistant Director. Must demonstrate sound judgement with concern for our customers and the organization.
Mental Demand: Attention to detail, strong organizational skills, flexibility, and creative problem solving.
Character of Supervision: Assist SMARTS staff in orientation and training of new student assistants.
Independence: Must be able to work independently and in a group.
Environment: Expected to create an environment where all children and adults are welcome and accepted.
- Be a welcoming, hospitable, first impression to families and guests
- Check in/out students
- Release and collect students to and from classes
- Moderate and take attendance for Virtual SMARTS classes
- Monitor Family Waiting Area
- Set up classrooms and keep clean
- Provide care for students while in SMARTS facility, keeping track of students, helping manage behavior, and handling situations with maturity, safety, and professionalism
- Understand student application and enrollment process
- Respond to questions and requests for information from parents and students
- Update student attendance records
- Enter student data into database
- Provides support for a full range of office activities
- Assists with general clerical assignments
- Assist with the delivery of materials, mail and other support services
- Event set up and support
- Answer incoming calls when needed
- Assist in the maintenance and upkeep of facilities
Other Functions & Responsibilities: Performs other duties as assigned.
Reports to: SMARTS President
Supervision Exercised: Assists with the supervision of SMARTS students and families during public programming.
Minimum Qualifications: SMARTS looks for creative, outgoing, arts-oriented people who care about the community and are interested in the well-being and education of children of all ages. Applicantss should be in the pursuit of a degree in business, visual art, music, communication, dance, theater, creative writing, and/or education. Excellent communication, problem solving, interpersonal, writing, and creative skills. Self-motivated, innovative, and team-oriented with the ability to organize, work with others and multi-task. Will require a flexible schedule including evenings and weekends.
Desired Qualifications: Must have an understanding of basic software packages to include Microsoft Office, Google Drive and a working knowledge of database programs. Advanced skills appropriate to a service-oriented environment. Valid driver’s license.
Physical Requirements: Occasional lifting required; must be able to move and transport minimum 20 pounds of equipment and supplies.
Job Type: Part-time
Pay: Begins at $12.00 per hour
SMARTS at Ohio One
25 East Boardman Street, First Floor
Youngstown, OH 44503